Today is Friday, March 2nd, 2018. Good morning! This morning we dive into the mental battles that are being waged in our hearts and minds. What a relief to know we are not alone in this battle! -Emma
(Take time to write down responses to these questions or discuss in your group)
- Can you sense a battle of intentions vs. desires in your heart?
- How has this inner battle brought you closer to the Lord or to a friend?
Take some time to thank and praise God for who He is, to pray for those you are walking with, for the needs you/group are facing, and for the Spirit to open your heart and eyes as you read the passage, which has been completely inspired by God.
DISCOVER [Romans 7:21-25]
+ WHAT is this passage saying and what do we learn?(Use these questions below each portion of text to clarify the main point)
21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.
- What does this stir up in your own heart?
- What evil lies close at hand when you want to do right? (v 21)
- What do you delight in, in your inner being? (v 22)
- What do you feel like you need deliverance from? (v 24)
- How do you feel yourself desiring to serve God but actually serving sin?
+ HOW am I compelled to confess sin and how does the gospel compel me to respond with a simple step of action/obedience? (Here are some thoughts to discuss in break-outs)
- Do you have any friendships in your life where you can work through this conflict of interest?
- Do you truly believe that Jesus delivered YOU from “this body of death?”
+ WHO are you walking with to discover or grow in Jesus and what is your next step with them, how can we help?