Today is Friday, February 2nd, 2018. As we continue in this series of Romans, we see that God is faithful, despite our unfaithfulness to Him; He deems us worthy, even when we feel unworthy of his grace; and He is inclusive, especially when we start to realize we really shouldn’t be included as those who are justified in His eyes. -Emma
(Take time to write down responses to these questions or discuss in your group)
- When do you notice you try to earn your way into God’s love?
- How has this inner battle brought you closer to the Lord or to a friend?
Take some time to thank and praise God for who He is, to pray for those you are walking with, for the needs you/group are facing, and for the Spirit to open your heart and eyes as you read the passage, which has been completely inspired by God.
DISCOVER [Romans 3:27-31]
+ WHAT is this passage saying and what do we learn? (Use these questions below each portion of text to clarify the main point)
27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Because of what law? The law that requires works? No, because of the law that requires faith. 28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30 since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31 Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.
- What does the word “boasting” mean to you?
- What “works” do you try to incorporate into your life to compensate for a lack of faith? (v 28)
- Do you think about God as the God of the Christians, or do you think about Him as the God of the Muslims, Atheists, and Hindus, too? (v 29)
- In what areas of your life have you noticed that your faith in God has allowed you to uphold the law? (v 31)
- Do you believe you can be unworthy and deeply loved by God at the same time?
+ HOW am I compelled to confess sin and how does the gospel compel me to respond with a simple step of action/obedience? (Here are some thoughts to discuss in break-outs)
- Do you have any friendships in your life where you can work through the places where you lack faith?
- Do you tend to ask God to give you more faith or do you try to do more works to earn his love?
+ WHO are you walking with to discover or grow in Jesus and what is your next step with them, how can we help?