Today is Monday August 28th, 2017; and I am excited to be learning with you! Yesterday we continued in our 3 week series called “Center”, where we learned more of the dealings of Christ and how to center upon his presence. In today’s passage we find that in the presence of Jesus we can end our search for fulfillment and be eternally satisfied in Him. - Mallory
(Take time to write down responses to these questions or discuss in your group)
- Have you ever felt like you found the Lord in an unexpected place or season of life?
- What do you think it would be like/feel like to be fully satisfied by the Lord in your life?
- How is the Lord working in the life of someone you are walking with (to help grow in or discover Jesus)?
Lord, I ask that you would be present with me today as I study your teachings. Reveal to me your truth, that I may be fully satisfied by you and the life you have for me. Amen.
DISCOVER [John 4:7-15]
+ WHAT is this passage saying and what do we learn? (Use these questions below each portion of text to clarify the main point)
7 A woman from Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink.” 8 (For his disciples had gone away into the city to buy food.)9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “How is it that you, a Jew, ask for a drink from me, a woman of Samaria?” (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.) 10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.” 11 The woman said to him, “Sir, you have nothing to draw water with, and the well is deep. Where do you get that living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob? He gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did his sons and his livestock.” 13 Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” 15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.”
The woman that Jesus meets at the well is a Samaritan, someone a good Jew would not normally interact with. This woman comes to the well in the middle of the day because she does not wish to see others because of the sinful life she is leading. Yet Jesus offers her the best and truly unexpected gift.
- In what way is the woman at the well being distracted from the gift Jesus is offering to her?
- What does it mean to “never be thirsty again?” Will all of our desires come to fruition or is there something more, something deeper being offered to us?
- What does it look like for the water given to us to become “a spring of water welling up to eternal life?”
+ HOW am I compelled to confess sin and respond with a simple step of action? (Here are some thoughts to discuss in break-outs)
- How can I daily seek to be fully satisfied in the Lord? What are practical actions I can put in place in my life to help me?
- How do I live my life differently if I am being satisfied in the Lord?
+ WHO are you walking with to discover or grow in Jesus? (one on one or facilitating your own group), what is your next step, do you have the resources you need?