Today is Tuesday, December 5th, 2017. As we continue our “City of Peace” series, we witness Jesus offer peace to those who He has sent into the world.
(Take time to write down responses to these questions or discuss in your group)
- Is there an area of my life that I am experiencing anxiety or unrest?
- How is the Lord impacting someone you are walking with (to help grow in or discover Jesus)
Take some time to thank and praise God for who He is, to pray for those you are walking with, for the needs you/group are facing, and for the Spirit to open your heart and eyes as you read the passage, which has been completely inspired by God.
DISCOVER [John 20:19-21]
19 On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.”
+ WHAT is this passage saying and what do we learn? (Use these questions below each portion of text to clarify the main point)
- Why do we find the disciples in a locked room?
- Why did Jesus present His hands and side to the disciples?
- Why does Jesus’s resurrected presence make the disciples glad? Why does it give them peace?
- Like the disciples, why should we experience peace knowing that we are sent by the resurrected Christ?
+ HOW am I compelled to confess sin and how does the gospel compel me to respond with a simple step of action/obedience? (Here are some thoughts to discuss in break-outs)
- Where in my life am I not experiencing peace?
- If I identify with Jesus in His death and resurrection, how can that influence my experience of peace in this life?
+ WHO are you walking with to discover or grow in Jesus and what is your next step with them, how can we help?